Internal Applicant Admissions
Students either at Appalachian State University or other colleges/universities may apply to The Honors College. Internal applicants may apply after completing one semester, but usually not after completing four, as this will not allow enough time for completion of the University Honors requirements of The Honors College. Exceptions may be made* if students have participated in recognized Honors Programs/Colleges at other institutions. A cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 is required to apply.
*With permission of the Director of The Honors College
Internal students already attending ASU and wishing to join The Honors College may apply by submitting the following material:
- The HC Internal ASU Student Application Form (PDF).
- A 500 word essay addressing why they wish to join The Honors College and how it will advance their personal and professional goals.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members they have had at ASU.
- A resumé detailing their leadership, service, co-curricular activities and creative endeavors in both high school and college/university.
- An unofficial copy of their transcript (available from AppalNet).
Note that if students are applying in their first semester, applications will not be reviewed until after the first semester grades are reported. For second semester or later applicants, mid-semester grade reports from all currently enrolled or in-progress courses, in addition to the unofficial transcript from earlier semesters (available from AppalNet), will suffice.