- In order to apply to the Honors College, current ASU students MUST attend an Applicant Orientation in the semester prior to the one for which they are applying to be admitted (see dates below).
- Then after having attended an Applicant Orientation, current ASU students will be invited to apply to the Honors College. The link to the online application portal, will be emailed to students who have attended an Application Orientation on the first day the application portal is available (dates for current application cycle are specified below).
- Application materials include: (a) applicant information, (b) essay, (c) two letters of recommendation, and (d) the student's transcript.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 is required to be admitted.
- Current ASU students may apply after completing one semester at ASU, but usually not after completing 45 semester hours, as this will not allow enough time for completion of the University Honors requirements of the Honors College. University Honors requires 24 semester hours of coursework. Applicants should carefully review University Honors requirements and consider whether they have or are willing to take the necessary time to complete all University Honors requirements before applying. Students who do not have enough time for completion of the University Honors requirements of the Honors College should consider applying to departmental honors programs through their major. Over 70% of all majors at Appalachian State offer honors programs for their students.
Criteria for Evaluation
- Academic standing is the primary criterion for evaluation of applications from current ASU students. This is measured by the following: (a) cumulative GPA, and (b) two letters of recommendation from faculty speaking to the student's performance in his or her classes.
- Applications are also evaluated for the student's understanding of, motivation for, and commitment to completing University Honors (including the requirements of Honors coursework, an International Experience, and an Honors Thesis). These are assessed in the essay component of the application and the recommendation letters.
- Applications are evaluated for the feasibility of completion of University Honors given accrued hours and timeline to intended graduation.
Key Dates and Deadlines:
Applicant Orientations (for Fall 2019 admissions):
- To be announced
Note: all orientations will be held in Appalachian Hall, Room 186.
Application Portal Open
- · Fall 2019 admissions: May 13, 2019 - June 14, 2019 at 5 p.m.
Deadline (for completed applications including recommendation letters):
- · Fall 2019 admissions: June 14, 2019 at 5 p.m.
Applications will not be accepted after the deadline for any given semester.
Admissions decisions will be made and notifications sent for Fall 2019 admissions by Wednesday, July 3, 2019.
For information or with questions about transfer applications to the Honors College, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org