The Honors College welcomes applications from students transferring to Appalachian. Please note: we have simplified our procedures for the Spring 2022 semester.
- Students not currently enrolled at ASU wishing to transfer into the Honors College from other colleges/universities must be accepted to ASU first before they may apply to the Honors College.
- Please note: Students not currently enrolled at ASU who are members in good academic and personal standing of academic Honors programs and Honors colleges at other accredited colleges and universities may count on admission to the Honors College at Appalachian. All students will need to apply.
- To apply to the Honors College for Spring 2022 semester admission, all transfer students must first get in touch with Dr. Angela Mead to schedule an informal virtual Applicant Orientation via Zoom.
- After completing a Zoom applicant orientation session with Dr. Angela Mead, current ASU students will be sent a copy of the Google Document application form, and encouraged to apply. Completed applications must include:
(1) the following applicant information:
- last name,
- first name,
- middle name,
- preferred name,
- preferred pronouns,
- AppState Email address,
- permanent address,
- phone number,
- intended graduation semester, and
- intended major(s)
(2) essay (prompt will be provided by the Dean),
(3) an informal university transcript, and
(4) the following information for two university faculty instructors willing to write you a short recommendation:
- full name,
- title(s) (Professor, Dr., Director, etc.)
- academic institution,
- academic department, and
- email address
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 is required for admission to the Honors College.
- Transfer students may apply to join the Honors College if they will have completed 45 or fewer semester hours prior to joining the Honors College. We encourage students who will have more than 45 semester hours by Spring 2022 to consider pursuing Honors at Appalachian through one of our many departmental or academic college Honors programs. Most students who have joined the Honors College with more than 45 hours have encountered difficulties in completing all Honors College requirements, including 24 credits of Honors courses or experiences, our Honors College international education requirement, and the Honors College thesis. To explore possible exceptions, please reach out via email to Dean Jeff Vahlbusch.
Criteria for Evaluation
- Academic standing and potential, as shown by: (a) cumulative GPA, and (b) two university faculty instructors who can speak to the student's academic performance.
- The applicant’s understanding of, motivation for, and commitment to achieving an Honors College education at Appalachian (including Honors coursework, an international experience, and an Honors College Thesis), as demonstrated especially in the application essay.
- The applicant’s commitment to contributing to the Honors College culture and community through participation and leadership.
- The feasibility of completion Honors College requirements.
Key Dates and Deadlines:
Applicant Orientations (for Spring 2022 admissions):
- Virtual via Zoom, scheduled with Dr. Angela Mead.
- Spring 2022 admissions: Monday, November 29, 2021
Unfortunately, applications cannot typically be accepted after the deadline for any given semester.
We will make final admissions decisions for Spring 2022 as soon as possible after grade reporting for the Fall 2021 semester is complete and no later than the first day of classes, Spring 2022 semester.
For more information or with questions about transfer applications to the Honors College, contact: email@example.com