- Honors Advising Coordinator
Dr. Angela Mead serves as the Honors Advising Coordinator for the Honors College and coordinates academic advising/ mentoring, orientation and student services for the ~800 Honors students enrolled in the Honors College. She advises students interested in education, communications, nursing and undecided students. She has been with the Honors College at ASU since 2005.
Dr. Mead's research interests include first-generation college students, honors students and academic advising, and especially on how the three areas intersect. She is also interested in social justice and the role of education in advancing equality and opportunity for those who have been historically marginalized, particularly those from lower socioeconomic backgrounds.
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Communication Studies, Interpersonal and Organizational)
- M.A., Appalachian State University (Higher Education Administration)
- Ed.D., Appalachian State University (Educational Leadership)
Research, Awards and Presentations
- National Collegiate Honors Council, November, 2012, Boston, MA. Presentation titled Increasing Socio-Economic Diversity in Honors: Advising First-Generation Honors Students.
- National Collegiate Honors Council, November, 2012, Boston, MA. Presentation titled Academic Mentoring: Advising for Life. Co-presented with Leslie Sargent Jones, Michael Lane, Dale Wheeler and Rose Buchanan.
- National Academic Advising Association, October, 2012, Nashville, TN. Presentation titled Advising First-Generation College Students: Research from Advisors Who've Been There and Done That.
- Awarded a National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) research grant for her dissertation on academic advising and first-generation college students for 2010-2011. News articles online at http://www.news.appstate.edu/2011/01/05/mead-receives-nacada-research-support-grant/
- National Collegiate Honors Council, October 2010, Kansas City, MO. Presentation titled First generation honors students: using advising to encourage success.
- Southern Regional Honors Council, March 2010, Greenville, SC. Presentation titled Seeing the Whole Student: An Evolution of the Honors Admissions Process. Co-presented with Zack Underwood.
- Southern Regional Honors Council, March 2010, Greenville, SC. Presentation titled Beyond the Surface: First Generation Honors Students.
- Appalachian State University Diversity Day, November 3, 2007, Boone, NC. Presentation titled Class Matters on Campus. Co-presented with Virginia Page.