The Honors College welcomes applications from students transferring to Appalachian. Please note: our procedures for Spring 2021 semester have changed in response to COVID-19.
- Students not currently enrolled at ASU wishing to transfer into the Honors College from other colleges/universities must be accepted to ASU first before they may apply to the Honors College.
- Students not currently enrolled at ASU who are members in good academic and personal standing of academic Honors programs and Honors colleges at other accredited colleges and universities may count on admission to the Honors College at Appalachian. Please reach out to Dean Jeff Vahlbusch to start this conversation.
- Then, in order to apply to the Honors College for the Spring 2021 semester admission, transfer students must first get in touch with Dean Jeff Vahlbusch to schedule an informal and virtual Applicant Orientation via Zoom.
- After meeting with Dean Jeff Vahlbusch for an informal and virtual Applicant Orientation, current ASU students will be invited to apply to the Honors College.
- All application materials should be submitted via email to Dean Jeff Vahlbusch beginning Monday, November 8, 2020, and no later than Monday, November 23, 2020.
- Required application materials:
(1) the following applicant information:
- last name,
- first name,
- middle name,
- preferred name,
- preferred pronouns,
- AppState Email address,
- permanent address,
- phone number,
- intended graduation semester, and
- intended major(s)
(2) essay (prompt will be provided),
(3) an informal university transcript, and
(4) the following information for two faculty instructors willing to write you a short recommendation:
- full name,
- title(s) (Professor, Dr., Director, etc.)
- academic institution,
- academic department, and
- email address
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 is required for admission to the Honors College. We will make final admissions decisions for spring 2021 as soon as possible after grade reporting for the fall 2020 semester is complete
- Transfer students may apply to join the Honors College if they will have completed 45 or fewer semester hours prior to joining the Honors College. We encourage students who would have more than 45 semester hours at the time they would seek to join the Honors College to consider pursuing Honors at Appalachian through one of our many departmental or academic college Honors programs. Most students who have joined the Honors College with more than 45 hours have encountered difficulties in completing all Honors College requirements, including 24 credits of Honors courses or experiences, our international education requirement, and the Honors College thesis. To explore possible exceptions, please reach out via email to Dean Jeff Vahlbusch.
Criteria for Evaluation
- Academic standing and potential, as shown by: (a) cumulative GPA, and (b) two faculty instructors who can speak to the student's academic performance.
- The applicant’s understanding of, motivation for, and commitment to achieving an Honors College education at Appalachian (including Honors coursework, an international experience, and an Honors College Thesis), as demonstrated especially in the application essay.
- The applicant’s commitment to contributing to the Honors College culture and community through participation and leadership.
- The feasibility of completion.
Key Dates and Deadlines:
Applicant Orientations (for Spring 2021 admissions):
- Virtual via Zoom, scheduled with Dean Jeff Vahlbusch.
- Spring 2021 admissions: Monday, November 23, 2020
Unfortunately, applications cannot be accepted after the deadline for any given semester.
For more information or with questions about transfer applications to the Honors College, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org