Selection of the Chancellor's Scholars
Chancellor's Scholars must also be admitted to the Honors College, but Chancellor's Scholarships are not tied to any major or college.
Applications are reviewed by a cross-campus faculty selection committee. They evaluate the applications based on academic performance and potential, as well as the essential student essays, résumé, and two letters of recommendation from teachers/mentors who know the student well from course work and extracurricular activities. Successful applicants display a background of superior academic ability based on active, involved learning, and a record of leadership, service, and creativity that are the hallmarks of an exceptional scholar. The Chancellor's Scholars average around a 1500 for their SAT Math + Verbal scores (ACT 34), and are typically in the top 3% of their high school class. Finalists will be asked for an on-campus interview with the interview committee, which comprises the application review committee plus current Chanellor's Scholars, during Scholars Weekend in February.
Recipients of the scholarship are required to enroll in at least one honors course each semester for their first four semesters, and demonstrate continued progress towards completing the requirements of the Honors College in order to retain the scholarship and graduate with University Honors. Chancellor's Scholarships are renewable for up to eight semesters with a maintained 3.45 academic average. Learn more
Complete your application for admission to ASU and the Honors College by November 15, following the scholarship application steps
- Complete your application for admission prior to the November 15 deadline.
- Application for Admission
- Official High School Transcript
- Official Test Score(s): we accept both SAT and/or ACT
- Application Fee or Fee Waiver
- Other documents may be requested
- Complete your Application for Academic & Merit Scholarship Opportunities (this includes the Honors Application) by November 15.
- Two letters of recommendation
- At least three individual essays (prompts are provided in the application)
- Watch your email and your MyMountaineer portal for more information. Select scholarship applicants will be invited to visit campus and interview for potential scholarship awards during Scholars Day. This invitation-only event is held each February.
Key Dates and Deadlines
- November 1st - Deadline to submit a completed application for admission
- November 1st - Deadline for students to submit a completed Academic & Merit Scholarship Opportunities application (this includes the Honors Application)
- Late January - Invitations for Scholars Day mailed
- Late February - Scholars Day event (including scholarship interviews)
- March 1 - Priority deadline to submit the FAFSA and be considered for need-based scholarships
- April 1 - Scholarship recipients announced
- April 15 - Accept your offered scholarship or ask for an extension
Tips for Applying
Here is some advice to help your scholarship application be as competitive as possible:
- Submit your application for admission well in advance of the November 15 deadline so you will have time to meet the same November 15 deadline for the required essays and recommendations.
- Identify your recommenders and give them plenty of time to write a recommendation for you. Early communication with your recommenders will yield better letters. At least one of your letters should be from a teacher who can speak to your academic ability, intellectual curiosity and classroom engagement.
- Create an application timeline calendar and include the application dates. Monitor the Admissions homepage for news of any changes to the application or notification deadlines.
- Prepare a list of activities and recognitions. Include your leadership roles, involvement in outside activities and any participation with volunteer organizations. Have you started any clubs on your high school campus? Have you been recognized for your volunteer efforts? View a sample resume (PDF, 36KB).
- Learn more about specific scholarship programs for which you may be a good fit.
- Allow yourself enough time to formulate quality essay responses.
- Monitor your scholarship application via your MyMountaineer Portal to learn what's been received and ensure that your scholarship application is completed by November 15