The Honors College welcomes applications from students transferring to Appalachian. Please note: we have simplified our procedures for the Fall 2021 semester in response to COVID-19.
- Students not currently enrolled at ASU wishing to transfer into the Honors College from other colleges/universities must be accepted to ASU first before they may apply to the Honors College.
- Please note: Students not currently enrolled at ASU who are members in good academic and personal standing of academic Honors programs and Honors colleges at other accredited colleges and universities may count on admission to the Honors College at Appalachian. All students will need to apply.
- To apply to the Honors College for Fall 2021 semester admission, all transfer students must first get in touch with Dean Jeff Vahlbusch to schedule an informal virtual Applicant Orientation via Zoom.
- After meeting this Applicant Orientation, students will be invited to apply to the Honors College.
- All application materials should be submitted via email to Dean Jeff Vahlbusch beginning Monday, April 26, 2021, and no later than Monday, May 10, 2021.
- Required application materials:
(1) the following applicant information:
- last name,
- first name,
- middle name,
- preferred name,
- preferred pronouns,
- AppState Email address,
- permanent address,
- phone number,
- intended graduation semester, and
- intended major(s)
(2) essay (prompt will be provided by the Dean),
(3) an informal university transcript, and
(4) the following information for two faculty instructors willing to write you a short recommendation:
- full name,
- title(s) (Professor, Dr., Director, etc.)
- academic institution,
- academic department, and
- email address
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 is required for admission to the Honors College. We will make final admissions decisions for Fall 2021 as soon as possible after grade reporting for the Spring 2021 semester is complete
- Transfer students may apply to join the Honors College if they will have completed 45 or fewer semester hours prior to joining the Honors College. We encourage students who will have more than 45 semester hours by Fall 2021 to consider pursuing Honors at Appalachian through one of our many departmental or academic college Honors programs. Most students who have joined the Honors College with more than 45 hours have encountered difficulties in completing all Honors College requirements, including 24 credits of Honors courses or experiences, our Honors College international education requirement, and the Honors College thesis. To explore possible exceptions, please reach out via email to Dean Jeff Vahlbusch.
Criteria for Evaluation
- Academic standing and potential, as shown by: (a) cumulative GPA, and (b) two faculty instructors who can speak to the student's academic performance.
- The applicant’s understanding of, motivation for, and commitment to achieving an Honors College education at Appalachian (including Honors coursework, an international experience, and an Honors College Thesis), as demonstrated especially in the application essay.
- The applicant’s commitment to contributing to the Honors College culture and community through participation and leadership.
- The feasibility of completion Honors College requirements.
Key Dates and Deadlines:
Applicant Orientations (for Fall 2021 admissions):
- Virtual via Zoom, scheduled with Dean Jeff Vahlbusch.
- Fall 2021 admissions: Monday, May 10, 2021.
Unfortunately, applications cannot typically be accepted after the deadline for any given semester.
For more information or with questions about transfer applications to the Honors College, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org