- For current Programs of Study for the Honors College use the ONLINE BULLETIN.
- Click here for the 2017-2018 and older Checksheet of Honors Graduation Requirements
Coursework for The Honors College graduates includes the following components:
NOTE only grades of B or higher count for Honors courses (HON seminars and departmental/.41x courses) and B+ or higher for honors contracts.
- 9 Hours in University Honors, one of each of the following courses (HON 1515, HON 2515, HON 3515); students must take one course that fulfills two of the three disciplinary areas - Arts & Humanities, Social Science, Science (one course may fulfill two areas).
- 9 additional hours of Honors course work (for example, World Civilization, Honors General Psychology, Sophomore Honors Literature)
*Any upper division course not taught as an Honors course may be contracted for Honors Credit. For more information about Honors Contracts, click here.
- At least 3 hours of Honors credits in the major department (departments may choose which courses will fulfill this requirement in their areas)
- At least 3 hours credit for the Honors College Thesis/Project (either HON 4010 or college/departmental 4510), a capstone experience which must be examined and approved by the student's thesis committee. Students are expected to present a thesis defense as part of this experience. For more information about the Honors College Thesis/Project click here.
International Education Requirement (students may complete this with ONE of the following options):
- ASU-approved semester or summer study abroad experience
- Honors College course with a study abroad component
- ASU-sponsored service-learning abroad experience or research abroad experience
- Appalachian Overseas Education Programs course (ASU faculty-led programs)
- HON 3515 "International Education: Bringing the World Home" course
- HON 3500 Independent Study connected to non-credit travel experience arranged with approval of the Honors College Dean
- Alternative experience arranged with approval of the Honors College Dean
GPA Requirements Required to Remain in Honors
- Freshmen must maintain a 3.0 overall GPA
- Sophomores must maintain a 3.2 overall GPA
- Juniors must maintain a 3.3 overall GPA
- Seniors must have a 3.45 overall GPA and a 3.45 honors GPA to graduate with Honors
Progression Requirements to Remain in Honors
Students must take a minimum of one Honors course every two semesters. Students who have two sequential semesters with no Honors courses are unlikely to be able to complete the University Honors requirements. Requests for a waiver of this requirement must be made in writing to the Honors College Dean.
Honors students are also expected to maintain high academic standards. To remain in good standing with the Honors College, students must maintain GPA requirements as noted above.
Discontinuing/Removal from the Honors College
A student may request to be uncoded as an Honors College student at any time. Click here if you are currently an Honors student and would like to request removal from the Honors College.
Click here for information on Graduating with Latin Honors Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, or Summa Cum Laude.